Although they won’t necessarily tell you, there are plenty of things that your hairdresser wishes you knew. There’s so much they can help you with, like learning how to use a curling wand, so it’s great if you can help them out a bit too, by being realistic about what you can expect. Let’s take a look at six of the biggest points your stylist would love you to know.
1. They want to help you learn. Hairdressers go through a lot of training so they have lots of knowledge to impart. Whether you want to know what color suits you, the best products for your hair type, or how to use a curling wand, make the most of their expertise and ask for advice and recommendations – they’ll be so pleased to help you!
2. A little notice goes a long way. Hairdressers totally understand that things come up at the last minute and plans change. But they also really appreciate it if you can give them as much notice as possible if you need to cancel. Hairdressers often hire a chair in a salon or work on commission, so an empty chair is a missed opportunity. They might also have a waiting list of clients who would love to jump in the newly available slot.
3. They love your input, but hope your expectations are realistic.
Hairdressers appreciate it when you take in a picture of a hairstyle you like, but bear in mind that the style might not be achievable for you. Drastic color changes are not always possible either, so be guided by their expertise. They’ll always offer an alternative that they’re confident will work best for you.
4. You get what you pay for . There’s a reason you pay big bucks for the most senior stylist in a salon with an excellent reputation. A lot of money and effort goes into training a top hairdresser. Work out how much you’re happy to pay and do your research about the level of stylist and salon that amount will get you.
5. They really appreciate feedback. Sometimes you might not be 100 percent happy with the end result, and it’s definitely ok to tell your stylist how you feel. They’d much rather have the opportunity to put it right for you, rather than you leave disappointed. They’re professionals who take great pride in their work, and really rely on word of mouth to help build their client base.
6. It’s always ok to tip! As we’ve already said, hairdressers work largely on commission and rely on tips too. So unless the salon has a no-tipping policy, your hairdresser will really appreciate a tip. Anything from 20 percent up is great, and will definitely help your relationship with your stylist in the long run.
Now that you’ve got a good idea of what your stylist wishes you knew before sitting in their chair you can use the information to build a great relationship. You want them to be happy and they want you to be happy, so it’s a win-win situation!
Author credit: Joana Teixeira